South Africa’s roads are notorious for requiring a certain level of skill and a particular kind of undistracted focus. As we head towards the December holidays, many will be hiring a trailer in Pretoria either to pack full of their holiday stuff, or to move house, and it is vitally important that you not only keep our trailer safety tips in mind, but that you also know these important facts about driving on our roads.
Newlands Trailer Hire has been renting trailers in the Pretoria area for many years, and client safety is always at the forefront of our minds.
We only hire out the best trailers and we always made sure that our trailers are thoroughly maintained and kept in great condition. To help further ensure your safety, read our facts below:
- Put down your phone. We all know that it is against the law to even have a cellphone in your hand while driving, and yet more and more you will see driver’s texting, sending voice notes and having full on conversations while driving. In fact, research has shown that every hour at least 40% of motorists use their phones while behind the wheel! The result is a distracted mind and a potentially fatal car crash. Your conversation is not worth the risk.
- Worse still is that there has been a noticeable increase in drivers accessing the internet or browsing their social media wile behind the wheel. Should you really need the information, it is always best to pull to the side of the road before pulling out your phone. Don’t let the fear of missing out leave you in danger of being in an accident.
- Driving while distracted increases the chance of having an accident 20 fold.
- Playing music, listening to the radio or having an audio book playing are the norm for most of us, but they too can be a distraction when played too loudly or if you get too involved with what you are listening to.
- Finally, we need to talk about the GPS system. These are ideal for guiding you to where you need to be, but quite often they are a hazard, especially if you have to physically look at the GPS or punch in addresses. It is best to always opt for the voice activated option as this will free up your eyes and your hands.
Sometimes it is next to impossible to not be distracted while on the roads, but when towing a trailer, it is best to make sure that you are always focused on the road. Trailers add extra weight and require skill to safely navigate. If you are unsure about towing a trailer, you can always ask our team for some helpful advice.